College English Test for Non-English Majors of Adult Education
I. Vocabulary and Structure
There are 30 incomplete sentences in this part. For each sentence there are 4 choices marked A, B, C, and D. Choose the One answer that best completes the sentence.
1. Do you want to come for a on my motorbike?
A. run B. ride C. drive D. walk
2. The repairs to my car me a lot of money.
A. worth B. prize C. cost D. spend
3. ____A_____ there is no opposition, I will act as representative of our class.
A. provided (that) B. supposed (that) C. opposed (that)
4. She _____D____ (up ) her forehead in disgust.
A. looked B. pushed C. pulled D. wrinkled D. proved (that)
5. Something has to be done the recent rise in unemployment.
A. to counter B. to count C. to account D. to encounter
6. The party leader is an extreme left-winger, but his deputy is more in his views.
A. modest B. moderate C. monitor D. modern
7. In ____A_____ of her apology, we decided to take no further action.
A. view B. fact C. idea D. opinion
8. The boy’s ______B______ development was very advanced for his age.
A. intelligent B. intellectual C. internal D. external
9. You may keep the book a further week _____D_______ no one else requires it.
A. as if B. even if C. even though D. provided that
10. The writer _____C______ the question of environmental pollution in his article.
A. kept from B. kept to C. kept up D. kept in
11. The teacher said Tom is ______B______ average in his lessons.
A. on B. above C. over D. up
12. Friendly ____C______ between different peoples facilitate the cultural and economic interchange.
A. contests B. contents C. contacts D. concerts
13. He noted ____A_____ her address on a piece of paper.
A. down B. on C. up D. in
14. This is a private dining room where members could ____C_____ groups of friends.
A. welcome B. accept C. entertain D. receive
15. We _______A_______ to the hotel manager that the room was too noisy.
A. complained B. told C. talked D. spoke
16. He was told that he was ___B______ to inquire into the cause of the accident.
A. posted B. assigned C. sent D. placed
17. The amount of sleep a person needs also increases if he/she has been deprived of sleep in previous days. (A)
A. taken away B. cured C. rid D. ensured
18. What is really abnormal sleepiness is now almost the norm. (C)
A. unique B. regular C. unusual D. odd
19. The microscope can ____C_____ the object 100 times in diameter.
A. intensify B. strengthen C. magnify D. expand
20. Eating too much sugar can lead ____D____ all sorts of health problems.
A. in B. on C. until D. to
21. Some people like to own a car as a symbol of _______.
A. place B. post C. status D. position
22. The old lady is friendly. She feels no ____D____ towards anybody.